Monday, August 29, 2011

Calling all Curls!!

It's been a while, but now that I have some time I'd like to give you some more rules for curly hair.

Honor your curls natural shape with gel.  I don't really consider this a rule since your hair can do without gel, but it really does help.  Gel holds your hair in place and protects it from outside elements such as wind and humidity.  For best results use a alcohol and silicone free gel that has a strong hold without leaving your hair crunchy.  I use DevaCurl's ArcAngel.  This is also an organic product, and it works amazingly on my hair.  I apply my gel before towel-drying my hair.  This seems to give me a stronger hold and less frizz.

You shouldn't dry your hair with a conventional towel.  A traditional terry-cloth towel will absorb to much moisture, which your hair needs.  The harsh texture of it ruffles the hair causing frizz.  I first used an old T-shirt which works really well.  Now I use a microfiber towel, which is very convenient, and will not cause frizz because of its smooth surface.

You shouldn't touch or scrunch your hair while it's drying.  Touching your hair while it's drying interferes with the curl's natural formation and creates frizz.  Some people think that if you scrunch your hair while it's drying, that will make it more curly.  This is not the case, however; and it will create frizz.  If I sit still (such as when doing school) after I get out of the shower for a few hours; my hair is always less frizzy. :)  After your hair dries it will have a gel "cast" on it.  When it is completely dry you can scrunch the cast out of it, and release your soft curls.

You should have your hair cut ONLY when it is dry.  This is very important, especially for people with tighter curls.  Let me try to explain.  When your hair is dry your curls have all different amounts of spring.  Some curls will be tighter, and thus, curl up shorter than a looser curl.  If you wet your hair and comb it for cutting, or straighten it, this makes your hair all one length.  When you style it again your hair will be all different lengths, because it was cut all length when it was wet.  I got my hair cut by a Deva certified stylist, which means that she was taught the curly girl methods.

For more information you can go to www.mydevacurl.com or find DevaCurl on Facebook. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Just wanted to say thank you for your marvelous words of advice on blogging. :)

    http://www.rachellerea.com/2012/07/blogging-101.html

    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete