Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Marriage Thoughts

We got this poem from a book at the library.  It was so true and precious I had to share it. :)

The Person I Marry
I went to a wedding.  I saw pretty things.
I noticed the dresses, the tuxes and rings,
the candles, the curls and the floral bouquets.
I stood with the crowd as we turned our gaze
to a bride who beamed as she came down the aisle,
sending love to her groom in the form of a smile.

Then as we sat down, my mom pulled me near
and whispered some wisdom right into my ear,
wisdom I know that I won't be forgetting.
"It's 'who', not 'what', that makes a great wedding.
The clothing you wear and the flowers you carry
don't matter as much as the person you marry."

Questions have swirled in my mind ever since.
What makes a princess?  What makes a prince?
It cannot be riches, hair color and height,
or any externals I think are just right.

Something that's inside, something much deeper,
will help me determine which one is a "keeper".
And so, long before any diamonds or glitter,
these are some things that I need to consider:

The person I marry will be quite a find.
Perfect?  Of course not, but certainly kind;
one who's sincere, non-threatening, real,
with genuine interest in how others feel.
Wisely, this person will understand
the good that can come from a gentle hand.

A quality person my heart can embrace
has courteous speech that is seasoned with grace.
Some people talk tough (or wish they were),
but here's something better I tend to perfer.
True sensitivity.  This can be shown
by words that are tactful and tender in tone.

The person I marry won't have to pretend
just to impress me.  I want a friend,
one who can share, but can also receive.
That is the marrying type, I believe.

And as we share, my partner and I
will learn which things can satisfy;
not shallow things some call successs,
but little deeds of thoughtfulness.
And though we may not live like kings,
we'll both enjoy life's little things.

All days won't be sunny; and during the rain,
my partner and I will be slow to complain.
We'll stick close together the way that we vowed
no matter how dark and looming the cloud.

We'll look on the bright side.  All hope isn't gone.
Our Lord just decided to water our lawn.
With all kinds of blessings He's filling our cup,
so sooner or later, it's bound to let up.

The person, perhaps, might make hardly a sound,
or maybe spread humor and cheer all around.
Flamboyant or quiet, we will have a supply
of laughs we can share and tears we can cry.

Whether theatrically singing on stage,
or sitting and turning the other one's page,
we'll share each emotion as husband and wife,
enjoying our mutual passion for life.

Whenever we happen to face, by chance,
a less-than-perfect circumstance,
the person I marry won't act like a grump
at every little snag or bump
My friend might have to count to ten,
but then we'll cast our lines again.
Oh, it might take us both a minute,
but soon we'll see the humor in it.

The one with whom I want to live
is patient, eager to forgive;
and also very quick to say
"I'm sorry" in a heartfelt way.

The person I marry will never forget
to dignify life, each person and pet.
Since God is Creator and He is supreme,
we'll treat His creation with proper esteem.

One who acknowledges people have worth
is precious and rare; a gem on this earth.
And I want a gem, so the one I select
must honor our families and show them respect.

This person will be someone who
will listen to my point of view
and hear the things my heart is saying
even when our hair is graying

Hair may thin or change in shade.
Faces may wrinkle, memories fade.
The person I'll trust to carry my heart
must truly believe "til death do us part."

The one for me will be eager to learn,
and willing to teach me things in return.
From time to time we'll disagree
on issues; that's a guarantee.
Certain ones are rather small
and they don't matter much at all.
But some have moral consequence.
On these we cannot ride the fence.
We'll use the Bible as our guide
to keep our spirits unified.

And I expect my lifelong mate
to know some things are worth the wait.
So, by the grace of God, I'm sure
we'll both succeed in staying pure.

Though some may do the things they ought
out of fear of being caught,
that's not good enough for me.
I'll want real integrity.

Honesty is a must.
I'll need someone I can trust,
true in heart, strong as stone
whether watched or all alone.

Who needs a person that's charming and flirty?
I prefer someone whose hands can get dirty-
a person who works with purpose and goals,
helping our world and enriching our souls.

And every-so-often, while working so hard,
the person I marry will catch me off guard
as work becomes fun.  We won't be afraid
to keep life in balance and see that we've played.

The person I marry will be the sort
that's by my side to lend support,
share the burden, help me stand
by offering a caring hand.

Sympathizing, heaven-sent,
my friend will give encouragement.
And though it seems we face defeat,
we'll soon be back up on our feet.

Though it may sound a little strange,
through every season, every change,
this person must be someone who
will cherish me as Number Two.

Oh, I'll be deeply loved, of course.
But I can't be my partner's source.
When everything is said and done,
God must be our Number One.

I'll probably marry, but maybe I won't.
(Some people do; some people don't).
But if I marry, this I'll know-
I set my standards long ago
when I was just a little kid.
I set them high; I'm glad I did.
The vows I'll say I mean to keep,
So I'll look hard before I leap.

That special one of mystery
has weaknesses, of course, like me.
So, in the meantime I'll prepare
by lifting both of us in prayer.
~Gary Bower

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Alisha. I would love for this to be read at my wedding someday. Do you mind sharing what book you found this in? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an excellent poem!! One worth having tucked inside your Bible! ;) I gave this book to Erik and Amber when they were engaged, but I had forgotten how amazing it was! Thanks for the reminder; it's good for us already married people, too :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was called The Person I Marry. It is a children's picture book! :)

    ReplyDelete